Vaniah's MBA Diaries

On Saturday 1st October 2005, I started an MBA course at the Said Business School, University of Oxford. I'm still wondering how it all happened that I ended up here but I guess that we must all play the hand that we are dealt. So that I don't forget, this blog is intended to document my business school adventure.

My Photo
Name:
Location: London, United Kingdom

I was born on the sunny tropical isle of Jamaica, and as soon as I could organise it, I moved to colder climes. Crazy huh? After finishing a stint in the city know for its dreaming Spires and knocking around Sweden for a while, I've finaly decided what my next adventure should be. My lovely (Swedish) fiance and I shall be travelling around the world after our wedding in August. Going full circle that is...

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Free wireless?

So, after all the hype from Google about the free wireless internet access that they are going to provide to the citizens of Mountain View, I'm here, sitting in the Mountain View Caltrain station and... nothing. My Yahoo! laptop is equiped with state-of-the-art wireless network communication devices and although it picks up a number of wireless networks in the area, they are all secured, i.e. ordinary plebs cannot use them without an access key.

So much for the first step towards the world of ubiquitous computing! Or is it? How many of you have a laptop that connects to the internet? - all I imagine. How about a phone that can access the web? - quite a few. Next, what about surfing the net through your TV? - maybe not all but I bet everyone could imagine it. Now wouldn't it be nice if your laptop spoke to your TV and your phone and PDA were automatically kept in sync with each other? What if you had one address book that you kept regardless of device that was always in sync? Bliss! Welcome to the world of persistent or ubiquitous computing where all your devices are connected to each other in a seemless way in a giant, global network that isn't controlled by anyone.

Interesting? It could be the future...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home