Vaniah's MBA Diaries

On Saturday 1st October 2005, I started an MBA course at the Said Business School, University of Oxford. I'm still wondering how it all happened that I ended up here but I guess that we must all play the hand that we are dealt. So that I don't forget, this blog is intended to document my business school adventure.

My Photo
Name:
Location: London, United Kingdom

I was born on the sunny tropical isle of Jamaica, and as soon as I could organise it, I moved to colder climes. Crazy huh? After finishing a stint in the city know for its dreaming Spires and knocking around Sweden for a while, I've finaly decided what my next adventure should be. My lovely (Swedish) fiance and I shall be travelling around the world after our wedding in August. Going full circle that is...

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

I ♥ BBC

What a great company!

I think that my love affair with the BBC began when I first moved to the UK and discovered that there were not one, but two television channels with no ads on them. And the programming was pretty good, if sometimes inexplicable to a non-British person too.

It continued when earlier this year Richard Sambrook gave an inspiring talk on the future of media at the Oxford Media Conference January of this year.

Today in my Media class, we had a visitor from the BBC who spoke with us about the current debate going on about the future of the BBC. Every 10 years they have to go through a public consulting period in order to get their Charter renewed. The charter allows them to collect licence fees from the public which is then used to develop programming as a public service. Their plans are laid out in “Building Public Value” (warning it's 136 pages long).

A quote:
“The BBC, however, believes that the potential – and the need – for public value in broadcasting has never been greater. Creating a fully digital Britain is a public challenge which the BBC must help to lead.”

What I find interesting about this particular public broadcasting service is that it is funded by the people through but not by the government. It exists to serve the public, yet in order to do so, it must remain independent and impartial in order to critique whatever political party is in power. It must be representative of the population, whatever it currently is and in so doing gives visibility and voice to minorities which would not normally have been heard. It is the ultimate social organisation however it exists in an increasingly market led environment.

Nice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home