Vaniah's MBA Diaries

On Saturday 1st October 2005, I started an MBA course at the Said Business School, University of Oxford. I'm still wondering how it all happened that I ended up here but I guess that we must all play the hand that we are dealt. So that I don't forget, this blog is intended to document my business school adventure.

My Photo
Name:
Location: London, United Kingdom

I was born on the sunny tropical isle of Jamaica, and as soon as I could organise it, I moved to colder climes. Crazy huh? After finishing a stint in the city know for its dreaming Spires and knocking around Sweden for a while, I've finaly decided what my next adventure should be. My lovely (Swedish) fiance and I shall be travelling around the world after our wedding in August. Going full circle that is...

Sunday, May 07, 2006

Happy Birthday Saïd

This year, the Saïd Business School celebrates its 10th anniversary. Yep, that's right, the school is only 10 years old but how it has grown. Here are some intersting facts that you probably didn't know.

  • Students in the first year had classes in the Radcliffe Infirmary, students passed patients in the hallway on their way to learn about business.
  • The site on which the current business school was built used to be the home of the Oxford Rewley Road railway station. This station was taken down gently and transported to the Buckinghamshire Railway Centre where model railway enthuasts can enjoy the architecture of this old building
  • The mound in the garden of the business school is the visible part of an archieogical of the ancient abbey, Rewley Abbey where Cistercian monks once studied back in the 13th century. The business school is not allowed to build there so instead we have a beautifully landscaped garden where we can play croquet in the summer. Lovely.

Last night, I attended the reunion dinner as a representative of the current class. It was a little weird to be dressed in a posh frock and have a three course dinner at tables in the Common Room which had been the location of the roudy South America night at Happy Hour the night before. But it was great to meet some of the students from the class of 1996 and hear their stories and to speculate with some of the others from my class, what we will be like when we come back for our 10 year anniversary.

Well done SBS, I hope that your next 10 years are a successful as your last ones.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh, photographic evidence I was there.

I think the School is really finding its feet; there is a real momentum building for innovation and change. It's already at the top of the league tables for undergraduate business, but don't be surprised to see it rise to the top for everything before too long ...

11:04 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home