Vaniah's MBA Diaries

On Saturday 1st October 2005, I started an MBA course at the Said Business School, University of Oxford. I'm still wondering how it all happened that I ended up here but I guess that we must all play the hand that we are dealt. So that I don't forget, this blog is intended to document my business school adventure.

My Photo
Name:
Location: London, United Kingdom

I was born on the sunny tropical isle of Jamaica, and as soon as I could organise it, I moved to colder climes. Crazy huh? After finishing a stint in the city know for its dreaming Spires and knocking around Sweden for a while, I've finaly decided what my next adventure should be. My lovely (Swedish) fiance and I shall be travelling around the world after our wedding in August. Going full circle that is...

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

My path

I've been doing some thinking over the last couple of days about the future and what I'd like to do. On Wednesday, Alan Giles, CEO of HMV spoke to us in our "Media Strategy, Management and Regulations" class - a very good lecture I thought. Then on Thursday, Thomas Hesse, head of Sony BMG spoke with us. Yesterday we had the Oxford & Cambridge recruitment fair and this weekend is the Media Conference at the Business School.


You know what I really want to do?

The internet is a fascinating evolution of technology and communication which has exploded in front of our eyes. Ok, so I may have been one of the first people in Jamaica on the internet 14 years ago but for many people, and particularly companies it's still a fairly new, scary thing.

I want to help a company or companies to embrace and gain a competitive advantage through incorporating insights gained from the internet. The rise of blogs, the shift of the habits of many people to search for information online, the convergence of communications technology and the imminent (and painful and soon to be more so) realignment of the role of content providers is creating tremendous opportunities for companies which many are not seeing.

I want to help. And catapult the firms into the new stratosphere while doing so. Now to find the right company or consultancy, and convince them that this is a valuable thing to do and that I'm the right person to do it with them. Hmmm... easier said than done!

Next Thursday, the Science and Technology OBN has arranged a "Geeks and Grapes" evening where Oxford internet techies mix with business school entrepreneurs and we'll see what happens.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home