Vaniah's MBA Diaries

On Saturday 1st October 2005, I started an MBA course at the Said Business School, University of Oxford. I'm still wondering how it all happened that I ended up here but I guess that we must all play the hand that we are dealt. So that I don't forget, this blog is intended to document my business school adventure.

My Photo
Name:
Location: London, United Kingdom

I was born on the sunny tropical isle of Jamaica, and as soon as I could organise it, I moved to colder climes. Crazy huh? After finishing a stint in the city know for its dreaming Spires and knocking around Sweden for a while, I've finaly decided what my next adventure should be. My lovely (Swedish) fiance and I shall be travelling around the world after our wedding in August. Going full circle that is...

Saturday, February 04, 2006

Oxford Business Alumni dinner

There was an Oxford Business Alumni dinner last night at the Oxford and Cambridge Club in London. It was so nice to be back in the Big Smoke, even though it was for one night only. I think I must have a love-hate relationship with London, when I'm away I'm happy and when I go I realise how much I've missed it.

What an interesting night though. It's the world where social networking and membership to certain clubs is of paramount importance. What I'm beginning to realise is that there are now opportunities out there made available through social networking that are mine to make if I choose to do so. I was standing in one of the (very grand) reception halls at the club last night with Serge and he looked around, nodded, smiled and said,

"We are now a part of this, we belong here."

I shall have to think about what I think of these things. But in one sense, it doesn't matter what I think. Serge is right. We are a part of this now, and we were from the minute we decided to accept the offer of a place at Oxford.

A word or two on the speaker. Mary Jo Jacobi is one of those incredible women who has had an incredibly varied career. She currently serves on the board of a number of organisations including Shell and previously worked for Lehman Brothers and HSBC in senior positions. She was also a spokesperson for two Republican US presidents (not current).

Last night, she had seven things that she wanted to say to us.
1) Luck counts, but you make your own luck
2) You can recover from financial disasters
3) It's not what you have done, its how you value (repackage) it for your next employers
4) Mentors matter - Be careful who you know
5) Sometimes to move ahead it is necessary to take a side step
6) Consider public service
7) Give something back

I did like this quote:
"If you can't be a good example, be a good warning"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home