Vaniah's MBA Diaries

On Saturday 1st October 2005, I started an MBA course at the Said Business School, University of Oxford. I'm still wondering how it all happened that I ended up here but I guess that we must all play the hand that we are dealt. So that I don't forget, this blog is intended to document my business school adventure.

My Photo
Name:
Location: London, United Kingdom

I was born on the sunny tropical isle of Jamaica, and as soon as I could organise it, I moved to colder climes. Crazy huh? After finishing a stint in the city know for its dreaming Spires and knocking around Sweden for a while, I've finaly decided what my next adventure should be. My lovely (Swedish) fiance and I shall be travelling around the world after our wedding in August. Going full circle that is...

Saturday, January 28, 2006

Chinese New Year, SBS style

Last night, the ethnic Chinese students at SBS (and Mac) put on an incredible Chinese New Year event at the business school. I was in Singapore last year for Chinese New Year and had a great time so I was looking forward to seeing what would be in store for us this year.

We were in for a treat.

The evening started out with a fantastic lion dance put on by a local Kung Fu school. Things just kept getting better, I had no idea that there were so many talented students at the business school! There were several performances on Eastern musical instruments, a Kung Fu demonstration, a mock (?) Chinese wedding and a toe tapping, lighter waving rendition of a Chinese pop song by one of the MFE guys. Fantastic!

But in a way, totally expected.

Conversations
Recently my conversations with friends at the b-school have been centered around the diversity of the students here. With 1/3 of us from the Americas, 1/3 from Europe and Africa and 1/3 from Australiasia the experience you get here must be truely unique.

This term we've been doing a course called International Business and Global Governance (IBGG) and as you can guess, the opportunity to listen to someone who is Chinese speak about what it is like to do business in China is priceless. It's an eye opener for everyone involved, when you're talking about what you are familiar with, it's hard to imagine that the way that you are accustomed to doing things is quite alien to someone else. Especially when it's someone who you respect for their intelligence and ability to do a good job. Makes you think about interactions and frustrations that you've had with others in a past life in a new light.

"One's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions"
Oliver Wendell Holmes

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home