Vaniah's MBA Diaries

On Saturday 1st October 2005, I started an MBA course at the Said Business School, University of Oxford. I'm still wondering how it all happened that I ended up here but I guess that we must all play the hand that we are dealt. So that I don't forget, this blog is intended to document my business school adventure.

My Photo
Name:
Location: London, United Kingdom

I was born on the sunny tropical isle of Jamaica, and as soon as I could organise it, I moved to colder climes. Crazy huh? After finishing a stint in the city know for its dreaming Spires and knocking around Sweden for a while, I've finaly decided what my next adventure should be. My lovely (Swedish) fiance and I shall be travelling around the world after our wedding in August. Going full circle that is...

Thursday, January 19, 2006

live every last minute

Have you ever been stuck in the office on a weekend and think to yourself, next weekend will be different.

Last night at the business school, we were treated to a talk from a man who is probably one of Britain's most successful modern entrepreneurs. Breat Hoberman, who co-founded the travel and retail website lastminute.com spoke briefly on the journey of the company from it's inception to where it is today.

As an entrepreneur, he spoke of the need to have "smart luck", "good timing" and a focus on "consumer need" in order to make a success in todays environment. "Investors are like sheep" he says as he recounts his discussions with VC's at the early stage of the life of the company.

Today he is still the CEO of his baby, and excited about the future of his company.
* he has even made it to Wikipedia
* he has done very well for himself through selling the company to Sabre Holdings

I was fortunate enough to be invited to the dinner afterwards which was hosted by the beautiful Exeter college. There I had the pleasure of speaking with Ian McCaig who is a lovely Scottish man and Managing Director of the lastminute.com group. He told me the other side of the tale of working with an entrepreneur, the thrills of being surrounded by innovation, the challenges of integrating so many acquired companies in such a short time and the fun of working for such a dynamic company.

The overall sentiment from this presentation is the same message that I've been hearing time and time again. It's know your customer, make an effort to understand your customers needs, then go meet them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home