Vaniah's MBA Diaries

On Saturday 1st October 2005, I started an MBA course at the Said Business School, University of Oxford. I'm still wondering how it all happened that I ended up here but I guess that we must all play the hand that we are dealt. So that I don't forget, this blog is intended to document my business school adventure.

My Photo
Name:
Location: London, United Kingdom

I was born on the sunny tropical isle of Jamaica, and as soon as I could organise it, I moved to colder climes. Crazy huh? After finishing a stint in the city know for its dreaming Spires and knocking around Sweden for a while, I've finaly decided what my next adventure should be. My lovely (Swedish) fiance and I shall be travelling around the world after our wedding in August. Going full circle that is...

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Burns night

"Ye Pow'rs, wha mak mankind your care,
And dish them out their bill o' fare,
Auld Scotland wants nae skinking ware
That jaups in luggies;
But, if ye wish her gratefu' prayer
Gie her a haggis!"
Robert Burns, Address to a Haggis

So, last night my college, the wonderful St. Hugh's hosted a Burns night formal hall which was attended by many of the MBA's.

For those who don't have a clue let me explain. January 25th is the birthday of the Scottish poet, Robert Burns. There is a fine tradition of a Burns night supper which follows certain pattern, and this meal was no different.

For the first time since I've been there, grace was not said in Latin but instead by one of the guys in the JCR in a Scottish accent. It went like this:

"Some hae meat and canna eat,
And some wad eat that want it;
But we hae meat, and we can eat,
And sae the Lord be thankit."
Robert Burns

The first course was scotch broth which was followed by the sound of bagpipes. We all stood as the haggis was brought into the room and sat while the "Address to a Haggis" poem by Burns was read to us by a Scottish lass. Didn't understand a word she said but laughed when everyone laughed and joined in the toast to the haggis.

The meal was, of course, haggis, neeps and tatties which translates to haggis, mashed potato and mashed squash. Yummy.

A good night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home