Vaniah's MBA Diaries

On Saturday 1st October 2005, I started an MBA course at the Said Business School, University of Oxford. I'm still wondering how it all happened that I ended up here but I guess that we must all play the hand that we are dealt. So that I don't forget, this blog is intended to document my business school adventure.

My Photo
Name:
Location: London, United Kingdom

I was born on the sunny tropical isle of Jamaica, and as soon as I could organise it, I moved to colder climes. Crazy huh? After finishing a stint in the city know for its dreaming Spires and knocking around Sweden for a while, I've finaly decided what my next adventure should be. My lovely (Swedish) fiance and I shall be travelling around the world after our wedding in August. Going full circle that is...

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

On techie stuff

Nerd test
I am nerdier than 86% of all people. Are you nerdier? Click here to find out!So a friend of mine goaded me to take this on-line nerd detector test, then got annoyed when I scored higher than him. Now it seems the test isn't a great indicator of nerd-ality, especially since I'm just a girl. Go figure. Men!

Ruby on the Rails
So, we're doing a project for our Technology and Innovation Strategy class on AJAX technology. Mike (right)has somehow managed to form a group consisting of four girls and him exploring a technology and trying to figure out its strategy for the future. The thing is, we're all ex-techies and we're all girls (except Mike). Just goes to show that gender isn't always an indicator of technical ability.

Our first step is to become aquainted with

It's pretty cool stuff, Mike built a simple database web application in 15 minutes right in front of me. Why am I only now just discovering this?

RSS Readers
Right now I'm usine Newsgator. I tried Google Reader but it was a little too clumsy for me, newsgator is just right.

LinkedIn
My complementary Personal Plus account on LinkedIn expires in 5 days time. I'm not quite sure what the inpact will be but as I can't remember asking for a Personal Plus account, then I can't be too disappointed in it's demise. LinkedIn is a great social networking tool though, highly recommend joining.

Google Talk
I am (yet) another convert to the growing empire that is Google and my latest drift away from M'soft is from MSN to Google Talk. I got tired of having to shut down MSN whenever Outlook started to run really really slowely. You'd think that two products by the same company would *both* work when loaded on to the same laptop. The advantage of Google talk is that it is very simple to use, doesn't take up much processor space and just works really, really well.

An architecture for the future
I would urge you to take an hour out of your life to listen to a great lecture by Paul Strassmann which outlines what he thinks will be the architecture for technologies in the future. His arguement is that Google is changing the playing field and paving the way to the network architectures of the future. Whatever your views, it's worth a listen.

What do I think?
The future is changing so rapidly that it's increasingly (sic) hard to keep up. Personally, my money is on the communities that we can form using the internet as the way forward. So far many have tried, but I have yet to discover one that is really easy for the regular Joe to participate in. We need a company that is to communities what blogging is to publishing. Easy, accessible, visual, obvious.

PS. It seems I'm not the only one to back communities, see Guy Kawasaki's blog post on The Art of Creating a Community

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

About this - the idea of creating a community around a really usable app of some sort is web 2.0 (yeah! that overused thing!). FlickR.com has done this at its breathtaking best, and it's founders have now sold it to Yahoo! I want quotationsbook.com to become to the new FlickR - but for text content. Ambitious no?! The roadmap is long and detailed and SOO different from any business plan. The enablers are powerful - RoR allowing anyone to build a web app quickly and places like ning.com letting you build social apps without writing much code. Its a wonderful web out there!

1:50 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home