Vaniah's MBA Diaries

On Saturday 1st October 2005, I started an MBA course at the Said Business School, University of Oxford. I'm still wondering how it all happened that I ended up here but I guess that we must all play the hand that we are dealt. So that I don't forget, this blog is intended to document my business school adventure.

My Photo
Name:
Location: London, United Kingdom

I was born on the sunny tropical isle of Jamaica, and as soon as I could organise it, I moved to colder climes. Crazy huh? After finishing a stint in the city know for its dreaming Spires and knocking around Sweden for a while, I've finaly decided what my next adventure should be. My lovely (Swedish) fiance and I shall be travelling around the world after our wedding in August. Going full circle that is...

Friday, December 16, 2005

Lost

It was a beautiful day today, the sun was shining, the sky was cloudless, the street musicians were playing Christmassy music and everyone was humming a little tune. I was wandering around Oxford this afternoon and every few minutes I would bump into someone else from the course. It was so nice, like living in a small town, but a fantastic, historic, interesting place where you know everyone but without all the baggage of having known everyone all your life.

It's a weird feeling at the same time though, and speaking with others, I think we all felt the same way. After 10 weeks of unrelenting work, all of a sudden we don't have anything to do. We were all walking around with a slightly lost feeling, like there is something that we should be doing, somewhere we should be at but we didn't quite know what it was.

Examinations
What an intense last few days though. Phew! There is so much that I would like to write about but I suspect that much of it will disappear into the mists of time. Shame. The examinations were an experience. Morning and afternoon for three days - intense doesn't begin to describe what we went through. Dressing up in sub fusc, sitting in rows in an ancient building, being overseen by the Proctors, studying through lunch, oh, and somewhere in there we had to write some exams. I'm glad it's over - results don't come out until the New Year so I'll worry about them later.

Here is a sneek look at our group in the Examinations School just before an exam. We're not allowed to take pictures in there so please don't tell or the Proctors with be out to get me!


Mustache Sub Fusc
They're over now. And the celebration party rocked!

And yes, there is an inordinate amount of facial hair on display. The guys decided to have a little moustache competition. Here are some of the finer examples.

As a representative of the female population, I do feel the need to attempt to disuade this kind of behaviour so boys: *big frown*.

Tim's parents
Have been visiting for a few days. It's been really nice to get to know them a bit. They had kindly brought some pictures of baby Timmy which may appear on this blog at some point - watch this space!

They all headed off for Ireland this morning. 10 minutes later the door opened and Tim came rushing back inside the house. He had forgotten his passport. Exams do that to you!

Three weeks
I now have three whole weeks off. The last couple of days have been nice. I've been hanging around Oxford and just chilling out with some of my new friends. It's been good. I'm heading to London for the second time since I've been here to catch up with old friends. Weird. My life in London seems a million years ago and it's only been a few months.

I have lived a lifetime these last 10 weeks. I wonder how it has changed me...?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home