Vaniah's MBA Diaries

On Saturday 1st October 2005, I started an MBA course at the Said Business School, University of Oxford. I'm still wondering how it all happened that I ended up here but I guess that we must all play the hand that we are dealt. So that I don't forget, this blog is intended to document my business school adventure.

My Photo
Name:
Location: London, United Kingdom

I was born on the sunny tropical isle of Jamaica, and as soon as I could organise it, I moved to colder climes. Crazy huh? After finishing a stint in the city know for its dreaming Spires and knocking around Sweden for a while, I've finaly decided what my next adventure should be. My lovely (Swedish) fiance and I shall be travelling around the world after our wedding in August. Going full circle that is...

Sunday, November 20, 2005

At home

Tapas
Fridays are becomming routine. Decision Science (Stats) in the morning, some event or the other for lunch, Finance in the afternoon. Quick meeting then Happy Hour (cocktails for £1) in the Common Room until 19:30 then out for dinner somewhere with a random group of people from the business school. It's a great way to meet new people and get to know others better.


This week, Ryo organised for us to check out a tapas place...






American football
Aparantly, there is this sport that they play across the pond, which they mistakenly call "football". It looks a little like rugby except that the players wear all kinds of body armor and there are all sorts of unusual rules like you have to stop the game every couple of minutes so that the television stations can play their advertisments. Weird.

So there was a match between two universities in the States, Ohio State (which my flatmate Tim went to) and Michigan (which my friend Mike went to) and apparantly there has been some kind of feud between these two universities for over 100 years. Who do I support. Kevin, one of the guys on the MBA (and another graduate of Ohio State) somehow managed to hire out one of the lecture rooms and we watched the game on the projecter in the room. The business school is beginning to feel like home.



It's a strange game, this American football, I'm not entirely sure I understand what was going on, but the guys seemed to enjoy it and apparantly it was a very good game, especially for Tim as Ohio State won in the last few minutes.

The Valley
It's my birthday tomorrow and some guys from Silicon Valley are coming to speak with us. I'm looking forward to the day, not because I will be a year older, but because I've been thinking more and more that the Tech industry is were I'd like to be. I'm going to be in a Masterclass with Chris Sacca (Google) and Evan Williams (ex-blogger). How cool is that!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home