Vaniah's MBA Diaries

On Saturday 1st October 2005, I started an MBA course at the Said Business School, University of Oxford. I'm still wondering how it all happened that I ended up here but I guess that we must all play the hand that we are dealt. So that I don't forget, this blog is intended to document my business school adventure.

My Photo
Name:
Location: London, United Kingdom

I was born on the sunny tropical isle of Jamaica, and as soon as I could organise it, I moved to colder climes. Crazy huh? After finishing a stint in the city know for its dreaming Spires and knocking around Sweden for a while, I've finaly decided what my next adventure should be. My lovely (Swedish) fiance and I shall be travelling around the world after our wedding in August. Going full circle that is...

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Guided tour

My friend Paul (who is also doing an MBA at Oxford) very kindly gave me a guided tour around San Francisco. I've always said that the best way to see a place is with someone who is local to the area. Paul has lived in SF since he was 16 so is pretty much as local as you can get!

The city of San Francisco is very local in nature. Like London, it consists of a number of different and distinct areas which have grown and become one city. Unlike London, San Francisco has managed to keep that very local, community feel in each area. Large franchises are barely tolerated and small shops are encouraged. Overt advertising is non-existent and everywhere you go is clean and well maintained. Have I mentioned that I love this place?

We did do a few touristy things as well. This is a picture of me with the Golden Gate Bridge in the background. After touring the city, we crossed the bridge and drove around for a bit. It was amazing how close beautiful countryside was to the city and we even spotted some wild deer roaming around (you can just about see the deer on the picture so I didn't post it - but it was there, honest!).

Then around one corner, we happened across this...

I don't know about you but I'm going to be super careful the next time I say anything against the large, well known, athletic shoe manufacturer...

The day ended with a scrummy tuna steak and a trip up to the top of the tallest building in the city for a cocktail while we admired San Francisco at night. From the 52nd floor you couldn't tell the height of the hills of the city and you could see from Oakland to Alcatraz. Beautiful.

San Jose
Today I've taken four different forms of public transportation, a taxi, streetcar, underground metro and train (see picture below) as I headed to San Jose.


Tomorrow I fly out of San Jose to LA and then on to London and away from this great place. I can honestly say that I have surprised myself at how much I have liked it here. Hmmm....

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

looks as if you are having a great time - hope that you keep smiling. love
D

8:34 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home