Vaniah's MBA Diaries

On Saturday 1st October 2005, I started an MBA course at the Said Business School, University of Oxford. I'm still wondering how it all happened that I ended up here but I guess that we must all play the hand that we are dealt. So that I don't forget, this blog is intended to document my business school adventure.

My Photo
Name:
Location: London, United Kingdom

I was born on the sunny tropical isle of Jamaica, and as soon as I could organise it, I moved to colder climes. Crazy huh? After finishing a stint in the city know for its dreaming Spires and knocking around Sweden for a while, I've finaly decided what my next adventure should be. My lovely (Swedish) fiance and I shall be travelling around the world after our wedding in August. Going full circle that is...

Friday, October 28, 2005

Happy Hour Halloween

I can't believe that Week 3 has ended. It feels like yesterday that I was writing my blog about the weekend after Week 2 and before I know it, the mid week (Week 4) will be upon us.

Happy Hour
A concept of the business school whereby every Friday night, between 17:30 and 19:30, all drinks in the Common Room are £1. This Friday, in light of the upcoming Halloween (and the large number of Americans on the course) we hyjacked Happy Hour and dedicated it to Halloween. Some of the class (yes, the Americans) took it very much to heart and turned up in full costume.



Electives Beauty Parade
An interesting concept, in order to help us to choose our electives in our second term (Hilary) the lecturers from each of the courses were given the opportunity to present to the class the course that they would be teaching. We now have to hand in our choices by the end of next week. We have the choice of two out of four courses (Finance II, Developing Effective Organisations, Macroeconomics or Technology and Innovation Strategy. Argh! What to choose??

School Dinners
I'm getting into the hang of heading up to my college once a week for a free dinner... this week we had an exchange dinner with Green College which was the college that my brother-in-law went to when he was doing his DPhil at Oxford a few years ago.

I also got to meet the brother of one of my friends on the course who did the MBA last year and get the low down on what courses to do in Hilary...

NBD pitches
NBD is a Said word which means New Business Development and refers to a project that we do in Hilary (next) term. The basic premise is that we get into groups and write a real business plan. This could be someone's idea for starting a new company, it could come from an existing company which wants to launch a new product or service or it could be another kind of startup. On Wednesday, some of us went to a presentation by a company called Isis Innovation which is a fully owned subsidiary of Oxford University whose sole purpose is to exploit innovations which arise from research which is taking place at the University. Several scientists had products or idea that they wanted to take to market but don't have the business know-how. Business school students have the know-how but not the idea... put the two together and you get some really interesting possibilities.

Second week of CE
I've been leading a Christianity Explored course at my church in Oxford (St. Ebbes). Week one was a general getting to know you week where we asked the question, "If you could ask God one question, and be sure to get an answer from him, what would it be?". This week, also week 2, we looked at the paralytic in Mark 2:1-12 and asked the question, "Who do people/you think Jesus is?". Facinating stuff.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home