Vaniah's MBA Diaries

On Saturday 1st October 2005, I started an MBA course at the Said Business School, University of Oxford. I'm still wondering how it all happened that I ended up here but I guess that we must all play the hand that we are dealt. So that I don't forget, this blog is intended to document my business school adventure.

My Photo
Name:
Location: London, United Kingdom

I was born on the sunny tropical isle of Jamaica, and as soon as I could organise it, I moved to colder climes. Crazy huh? After finishing a stint in the city know for its dreaming Spires and knocking around Sweden for a while, I've finaly decided what my next adventure should be. My lovely (Swedish) fiance and I shall be travelling around the world after our wedding in August. Going full circle that is...

Saturday, October 15, 2005

MATRICULATION



It's official! I am now a bonified student of Oxford University. You'd think that you would be a student when they accept you into the University, or even when you pay your fees, and *definately* once you've started classes (one day I will write about week 1). But no... here you must be matriculated into the University at a ceremony containing all the hallmarks of a "rights of passage" ceremony. There were gowns and bowing, latin and huge doors which close with a satisfying thud, not to mention hordes of tourists, family and friends clustering on the other side of a fence made out of ancient iron bars...



Today started at the obscene hour of 7am and for those of you who know me well, know that it's not a good idea for me to do anything at that time of the morning. I got up, bleary-eyed from the previous late night celebration of the end of the first week of proper classes, put on my "sub-fusc" (the garb that *everyone* in the photos is wearing) and cycled to my college 15 minutes away. I was just in time for the my college, St. Hugh's, official photo on the grounds and to hang out with some of my new friends at the college.



There are quite a few of us MBA students at St. Hugh's which is very nice, we are a sociable bunch and very friendly.



After the official photo, we had to be present at the roll call which is the official record of our entry into the University and then we walked from our college to the Sheldonian theatre in the centre of Oxford where the official matriculation ceremony took place.

Afterwards, by custum (and if nothing else, the day is all about custum), we retired to the Turf Tavern for a celebratory pint.



We ate and then I cycled home. It was an unusually warm and beautiful day and I couldn't help stopping, taking a deep breath, closing my eyes, and making a memory.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home