Vaniah's MBA Diaries

On Saturday 1st October 2005, I started an MBA course at the Said Business School, University of Oxford. I'm still wondering how it all happened that I ended up here but I guess that we must all play the hand that we are dealt. So that I don't forget, this blog is intended to document my business school adventure.

My Photo
Name:
Location: London, United Kingdom

I was born on the sunny tropical isle of Jamaica, and as soon as I could organise it, I moved to colder climes. Crazy huh? After finishing a stint in the city know for its dreaming Spires and knocking around Sweden for a while, I've finaly decided what my next adventure should be. My lovely (Swedish) fiance and I shall be travelling around the world after our wedding in August. Going full circle that is...

Sunday, October 09, 2005

Week 0

Here at Oxford, time is measured by week numbers rather than months. As our first week here is unofficially called Freshers week and little (post grads) or no (undergrads) work is done during this time, it is known as week 0. Odd huh? Apparantly there are many more little nuggets of similar type information to be gleaned at this fine institution, I shall let you in on them once I find them out.

On our first day as not quite proper Said Business School students we had to all stand in front of the entire class and a video camera and introduce ourselves. How's that for a start to the year?



There are 227 students in our class and it is the largest class to date. They are a fantastic bunch, everyone has had their share of adventures and their tales to tell. During the first couple of days, I met loads of people in the various induction classes and events that were put on by the business school, it has been great!

The rest of the week was taken up with kicking off the various clubs which we will undoubtable be involved in and getting stuck into our various colleges. My college, St. Hugh's is definately got one of the more sociable colleges which is going to be loads of fun! It's a little out of town compared to some of the other colleges but still within walking distance. Set on 14 acres of land, they have really made an effort to make it a beautiful retreat away from the busyness of Oxford.

There are around 20 MBA students at St. Hugh's which means that there are always a group of non-undergraduates to hang out with when you go to the college. Here are a few of the antics that we got up to...






From top to bottom (left to right)
College bar-b-que
Mike and Me
Me and Kate
Chris and Mike
Naughty children


Classes start for real tomorrow and I guess things will shift a gear somewhat. Still, week naught was good fun and one I shall remember for a long time!