Vaniah's MBA Diaries

On Saturday 1st October 2005, I started an MBA course at the Said Business School, University of Oxford. I'm still wondering how it all happened that I ended up here but I guess that we must all play the hand that we are dealt. So that I don't forget, this blog is intended to document my business school adventure.

My Photo
Name:
Location: London, United Kingdom

I was born on the sunny tropical isle of Jamaica, and as soon as I could organise it, I moved to colder climes. Crazy huh? After finishing a stint in the city know for its dreaming Spires and knocking around Sweden for a while, I've finaly decided what my next adventure should be. My lovely (Swedish) fiance and I shall be travelling around the world after our wedding in August. Going full circle that is...

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Sylvester's, punting and more assignments than you can shake a stick at...

Sylvester Awards
After six weeks of preparations and one day of intense practicing, the SBS Annual Sylvester Awards went off without a hitch. Well, with one or two small hitches but none to speak of...


It was a beautifully warm evening and everyone was in good spirits. To name a few, Bonnie won the "Sunshine" award, Marty won the "Girl you would most like to take home with you", Koen the "Catwalk" award and Nikesh won the "Helicopter" award.

As one of the main organisers of the event, I learnt a thing or two about leading. It's a simple thing but we divided the volunteers into groups and gave them broad guidelines of how we wanted the event to run, a task, autonomy to figure out how they were going to approach it and empowered them to make decisions and spend money. The result, great ideas, full participation and a painless, fun filled event.

Punting
My friend Johan came to stay for a couple of days so I decided to take Monday off and show him the sights of Oxford.


We did all the quintesential Oxford things, went cycling, toured Hogwarts, had a pint in the Turf, went punting, looked around my college... it was a beautiful day and loads of fun.



More assignments...
Well, it's the last week of classes on my MBA - for ever! And all of my lecturers have conspired to ensure that my last few weeks here are my busiest yet. I have an assignment due tomorrow (35%), two on Monday (70% & 50%) and one on Tuesday (50%). After that, I still have three more left to complete before the end of week 10.

And I still need to find a job.

Fun stuff!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home