Vaniah's MBA Diaries

On Saturday 1st October 2005, I started an MBA course at the Said Business School, University of Oxford. I'm still wondering how it all happened that I ended up here but I guess that we must all play the hand that we are dealt. So that I don't forget, this blog is intended to document my business school adventure.

My Photo
Name:
Location: London, United Kingdom

I was born on the sunny tropical isle of Jamaica, and as soon as I could organise it, I moved to colder climes. Crazy huh? After finishing a stint in the city know for its dreaming Spires and knocking around Sweden for a while, I've finaly decided what my next adventure should be. My lovely (Swedish) fiance and I shall be travelling around the world after our wedding in August. Going full circle that is...

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

So you want to do an MBA...?

A friend of a friend who is thinking of doing an MBA e-mailed me some questions he had. Here they are and my answers.

Why did you decide to do an MBA?
An MBA has always been on the agenda for me. Being a Business Analyst in an IT firm, I was always being asked to solve business issues and the more I picked up from the companies I worked in, the more I realized that there was so much that I didn’t know, and was interested to know. Additionally, I had been increasingly pidgen holed into a particular sector and I wanted to get wider business experience.

Which did you choose, and why?
I applied, and got offered a place at both Saïd (Oxford) and HEC in France. I choose Oxford because when Oxford offer you a place, you don’t say no. Why else? It was a one year course, not far from London (though in hindsight that doesn’t make a difference because you don’t have time to visit), and because I attended an Open Day here and chatted to the students felt they were the kind of people that I would have a beer with.

Is Saïd suitable or geared towards technology people?
It is a business degree however, and there will be lots of non-technical courses that you will be expected to master. There are a good number of ex-tech’s here though.

What are the pre-requisites for most of the courses?
There are no pre-requisites. If you get in, then they expect that you will be able to do all the courses.

How does the application work? Tests? Interview?
Check out the website. You apply on-line but you need to send some stuff though the post so start as early as you can. You must take your GMAT but that’s the only test. If they like the look of you then there will be an interview which is more like a 20 minute chat than a full blown scary interview.

My advice in this area would be to focus on your essays. Really think about them and produce a well thought out, coherent, consistent work. This is where you differentiate yourself from the many, many others applying so don’t be afraid to let the real you come through. Of course you want an MBA, of course you want to come to Oxford, but what will you bring to the class of 2007? What makes you stand out from the crowd?

Do get a good GMAT score, do come for an Open Day and do chat to others like me.

Who do you think is suitable for an MBA?
Someone who does their homework before they apply :)

What outcomes did you expect when you started the MBA?
A better understanding of the business world, good social networks and some time out to think about what I want to do in the future.

Is it fun, or really hard?!
It’s really fun and really hard. Look through this blog, I think it gives you a pretty good idea of some of the things that you can get up to while here.

Is the networking coming in handy?
Oh yes. And will be *very* handy in the future.

What kind of people go to Saïd?
There are all types here, from ex-techies like you and me, to lawyers, doctors, people from media companies, marketing companies, retail companies… it’s a very diverse bunch. There is also an incredible international mix, 1/3 of the students come from the Americas, 1/3 from Europe and Africa and 1/3 from Australasia. I don’t think you can get this at any other business school. The world is suddenly very small.

If say, I think the whole thing through, am suitable, have found the right course, etc. how much might the whole thing cost at Saïd?
If you want to make the most of your time here, take whatever they suggest you need and add another £5k to it.

Don’t let the cost put you off. Beg, borrow, mortgage your house, get sponsorship, go to your parents, apply for scholarships and grants, go busking, whatever it takes. Money is only that, money. At the end of the day, you’ll be operating in a different ball game when you leave and you will more than make up for the sum you borrow now.

What you mustn’t do is try to work while you’re here. It may seem like a good idea now but it’s virtually impossible when you get here. An MBA is an 8am to 1am, 7days a week job. But worth it.

Is Said one of the best in the country?
Absolutely. According to the FT, Saïd is currently at #20 in the world and #2 in the UK after LBS and way ahead of Judge (Cambridge).

Best of luck in your application, and drop me a line if you find this helpful or if you have any other questions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home